I have constantly receiving questions about how to have mobile phone service on the go the cheapest way in Malaysia? There is a few options for travellers to keep in touch with Family, Friends or even Social Media on the go the CHEAP WAY.
Is always NOT ADVISABLE to use your own country carrier line. While this is extremely convenient for you but it can be ASTRONOMICALLY expensive.But if you are travelling for a very short period of time (2 to 3 days can be acceptable) if you prefer the convenience. Just remember to put your mobile phone into Airplane Mode, or you will be receiving an extremely high phone bill which may cost more than your vacation.
LOCAL SIM CARDS
In Malaysia there are few major carriers that offer Traveller Sim, a package which include basic call services together with Mobile Internet services. My guide below shows you each Malaysia Sim Card Pros & Cons as a reference. If you wish to skip all these reference, skip to the last part of this post for recommendation straight away.
(1) DIGI is always introducing new Mobile Data Plan at least few times a year to attract more users to subscribe to their services. Below are the plans available for now :
DIGI SMART PREPAID :
- MYR8.00 (Starter Pack)
- Free Basic Internet
- 5sen/30Sec Call to Top 10 Friends (you can register your team mates in same mobile network for this special rate)
- Weekly Internet Add On : MYR7.00 | 300MB 4G LTE | Unlimited Whatsapp
(2) CELCOM claim themselves to have the widest 4G LTE coverage in Malaysia. In real facts, this carrier is actually more strong in outside cities area. So if you are planning to go outside of main cities to visit the nature, rural area, beaches and hiking, Celcom maybe a good choice.
CELCOM TRAVELER SIM
- MYR3 is preloaded in the pack but you are recommended to reload from as low as MYR50 to enjoy longer validity period.
- VOICE CALL : MYR0.36 per 30 Seconds
- MOBILE DATA PLAN : MYR5 (Daily) | MYR18 (Weekly) | MYR38 (Monthly)
(3) MAXIS always brand themselves to have the fastest 4G LTE Service in Malaysia. In real facts, they provide little options for users to choose in terms of plans.
MAXIS HOTLINK SIM
- MYR10.00 Pre loaded with MYR5 Credit & 300MB Internet (that only valid for TWO DAYS).
- MOBILE DATA PLAN : MYR3 Per day (1GB)
(4) U MOBILE sim pack are likely more simple and very affordable compare to all the available carrier here. Below are the current package available :
U MOBILE TRAVLLING TO MALAYSIA SIM
- MYR15 for 500MB Internet (15 Days).
- MYR30 for 30 Days, with FREE 30 Mins Call to All Network
- TOP UP MYR1 per day to get UNLIMITED FREE CALL for 24hours.
(5) TUNE TALK by Air Asia are less aggressive in promoting their products. Although they do offer the simplest plan overall, but the sim pack offer up to 75 days validity base on activation / reload date. An overall winner in terms of validity.
- MYR35 for 1GB Data + MYR5 Call Time
(6) YES Malaysia is one of the first carrier to offer 4G LTE service in Malaysia. One of the fastest and smoothest network you can ever find here. The only down point is that YES coverage area are mainly in Main Cities only.
- Pay as you use at 9 sen [Per 3MB]
So after all the confusing plans available in Malaysia, which is the most recommended carrier for you who are travelling here soon? Check out my simply answer below :
FOR SMOOTH & FASTER MOBILE PLAN : CELCOM
FOR CHEAPEST & OVERALL WINNER PLAN : U MOBILE
IF YOU ARE TRAVELLING OUTSIDE OF MAIN CITIES : CELCOM
IF YOU ARE MAINLY IN MAIN CITIES : DIGI
Still unsure and need help to choose a correct plan? Please leave comment below with your question. We try our best to help you out.