With Travelling by Air is one of the most preferred way in most travelling and Airlines are ratcheted up baggage fees, what worst is most Airlines are very strict now on the hand carry luggage size and weight. May travellers, especially myself is constantly looking for possibilities to travel light with my Carry on Luggage without checkin in for a short trip.
Here is what you will need to expect and how you do it!
While I have flown numbers of trips with just carry on, including Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia and Australia, its really possible if you’ll be taking small, regional flights within your destination or even for much longer trips. It’s totally possible if you can eliminate the excess!
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU HAVE A CARRY ON?
- Potential Faster Que . You may skip the drop off baggage since you have a carry on and proceed straight to the security check prior to boarding. But make sure you organize your carry on luggage especially the allowed items and liquid that can be bring on board. Hence, make sure you have a bag scale at home first that does not exit the allowed baggage weight.
- You may need more Overhead Luggage Space . Since you maybe carrying slightly more items with you in a bigger luggage, you may want to be the first few to board the plane earlier to secure a bigger overhead luggage space.
- Wait Less & Worry Less . Since you are not checking in your bag, you may wait less by skipping the baggage carousel after a long flight, or being worry on missing luggage.
- Safe More for your trip. Checking in fewer baggage, you pay lesser.
- Improve Packing Skills . You need to learn and research on how to pack only important and must bring items with you. Check out our post on how to Pack Lighter and Travel Lighter
HOW TO CHOOSE A SUITABLE CARRY ON BAGGAGE?
The IATA guideline at one time stated: Cabin baggage should have a maximum length of 56 cm (22 inches), width of 45 cm (18 inches) and depth of 25 cm (10 inches). But of cause depending on the Airline that you are booked, it is important check the size and weight requirements of the airline you’ll be flying.
This is a summary of the Dimensions for different Airlines on Hand Carry.
Type Of Recommended Carry On Luggage
I personally would recommend Carry on Luggage with 2 Roller (or 4 Roller will be even better) to skate thru the long walk within the airport. Most importantly is to have the below security feature :
Hard Cover Carry On Luggage : You would know how your baggage will be handled during the entire trip. To protect your items (even if there its no fragile items in your bag), you can at least protect it from rain or water entering your baggage.
Carry On Luggage Scale : Always helps you to ensure you are not over the allowed limit allowed as baggage allowance for carry on in different airline maybe slightly various.